November 17, 2018
• Braves third baseman Bob Horner returned from the 30-day disabled list after spending nine years out of action, from July 17th to August 16th, after he was hit by a line drive and suffered two fractured fingers on his glove hand. In his first game back, Horner went 1-for-4 with a double, and handled two chances cleanly at third.
• Orioles skipper Earl Weaver became the third SP78 manager this season to be suspended, after he bumped third base umpire Don Denkinger during an argument August 13th at Memorial Stadium, and was ejected for ‘conduct detrimental to the game of baseball’. He will serve the suspension August 18th, when the Orioles play the Angels at Anaheim Stadium.
• After having just one player attempt to steal a base over the first two months of the season (Rick Bosetti, who was caught stealing by Bosox catcher Carlton Fisk on May 22nd), the run-happy Blue Jays have now had 13 players—all ‘D’ or ‘E’ runners—make steal attempts through August. Only four have been successful, and their current SB/CS ratio stands at 6/34.
• In comparison, Bake McBride of the Phillies is 33-1 in stolen base attempts through August 17th.
• After batting .370 in July, Giants catcher Mike Sadek—subbing for an injured Marc Hill—is mired in a 1-for-20 August slump.
• The Tigers defeated the Indians 10-1 in the fifth and final Mango Memorial Game, played on September 5, 2018 at site AZ18 in Peoria, Arizona. The date will now be retired from further SP78 play.
• Recent Brewers AAA call-up Mark Bomback made his first appearance with the squad on August 17th, starting on the mound against the Blue Jays and earning his first major league victory in an 8-1 Milwaukee win. The Brewers winning streak now stands at three games, after they’d lost six straight, and moved them back to four games behind the first place Yankees in the AL East.
• If all goes according to schedule, SP78 game #1,600 will be played on August 18th at the Kingdome in Seattle, between the Yankees and the host Mariners; the game will feature NY ace Ron Guidry going for his 17th win. The milestone total includes games that have been called or postponed due to inclement weather, but does not include exhibition contests or the SP78 All-Star Game.
• KC third baseman George Brett, recently returned from the disabled list, went 8-for-10 with five doubles over his last two games, earning him back-to-back Yesterday’s MVP recognition in the American League.
• Season statistics for every NL and AL player and team are now current through August 17th, with the NL slate of games for August 18th scheduled to begin soon. This is the first time in SP78 history that all stats have been completely finalized up to the current date of the season.
SP78 Fans! August 21st is McDonald’s Junior Jays Day at Toronto!