February 7, 2014
• The A’s-Blue Jays match-up of July 23rd, which was postponed due to rain, was the last meeting of these two teams at Exhibition Stadium this season, and therefore had no make-up game scheduled. However, with playing all 2,106 games on the 1978 schedule an SP78 priority, the teams will now meet in Toronto on August 31st—an off day for both—and replay their game that evening, keeping their 162-game seasons intact.
• California infielder Dave Machemer, who homered in his first at-bat during the actual 1978 season, took just five at-bats to do so during the SP78 season, connecting for a pinch-hit grand slam off Milwaukee starter Andy Replogle in a fight-filled 6-5 Angels win over the Brewers on July 26th. Seven players were ejected in the game, including Machemer, who earned the respect of his teammates by joining a seventh-inning fray after Dave Chalk was hit by a pitch thrown by reliever Bob McClure, the third HBP of the game. Machemer struck again the next game, connecting for his second HR in as many nights, a two-run shot off Jerry Augustine that helped the Halos pummel the Brewers 8-2.
• The final game at ‘AZ8′ in Peoria, Arizona was played on January 10th, 2014 between the Rangers and White Sox at Comiskey Park, a game won by the Sox 3-2 in 12 innings. The site had hosted 218 games, an SP78 record, and is the only location to see over two hundred games played.
• One day after KC third baseman George Brett slugged his first grand slam of the season, and his ninth HR overall, he was injured after running into teammate Darrell Porter on the first play of their July 27th game against the Mariners. The two collided while chasing a foul off the bat of Larry Milbourne; Brett was put on the 15-day disabled list, while Porter will be out approximately one week. Utility infielder Jerry Terrell will fill in at third during Brett’s absence, while Art Kusnyer was recalled from Omaha and will share catching duties with John Wathan.
• Cardinals flagship KMOX has reported that Springfield Redbirds shortstop Todd Benefiel, who is hitting over .350 for the American Association club, will get the call to join the Cards during their upcoming road trip to Chicago on August 1st. The move will require a player be sent down, and manager Ken Boyer has hinted that one of six outfielders on the current St Louis roster will likely head to their AAA affiliate in Springfield.
• The first SP78 game played outdoors in over twenty years took place three weeks ago in Mission Valley, California, where the Dodgers roughed up the Pirates 9-4 on a breezy afternoon in a poolside gazebo at site ‘SD7′. The game was just the second ever played at the apartment complex, and the first played in the open air since August 22, 1992, when Game #575 was completed on the front concourse of the now-demolished Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.
Fans! July 29th is Cap Day at Municipal Stadium!