September 23, 2013
• With one out in the last of the ninth, Texas designated hitter Richie Zisk connected for a two-run HR off Boston reliever Bob Stanley to snap a 3-3 deadlock and give the Rangers a stunning 5-3 win over the Red Sox in front of a frantic home crowd at Arlington Stadium this past weekend. Reggie Cleveland earned the win in relief of Fergie Jenkins, and Johnny Grubb—who entered the game batting .477 for July—went 5-for-5 with two runs and an RBI to lead all batters.
• All AL and NL team rosters and starting pitching rotations are currently being adjusted and overhauled in preparation for the month of August, with struggling players being shipped down to AAA—including many pitchers with restrictive PB ranges of 2-5—and minor leaguers with extensive 1978 major league action under their belts being called up from their farm clubs to replace them. The White Sox, Mariners, Astros, and Giants rosters have already been adjusted; the Reds and Cardinals are currently being evaluated. Watch this site’s transaction listings and future TWISP Notes for updates.
• Giants first baseman Willie McCovey is still three home runs shy of the 500th of his career; his last HR came on July 19th against Mike Krukow and the Cubs at Wrigley Field.
• Currently, Merv Rettenmund of the Angels has served the longest amount of time on the disabled list, having gone out with an injury on May 18th, a long 23 years ago. Rettenmund is not due to come off the DL until August 2nd; he and Brewers catcher Andy Etchebarren are the only SP78 players this season to be placed on the 75-day disabled list.
• There are 68 games left to play for the month of July!
• The fifth and final chapter of the Chicago 1993 ‘Enjoy It While You Can’ baseball tour story is being written, and should be ready for posting in the next week or two.